This blog is maintained on behalf of the Amy Foundation for the purpose of tracking the best Christian journalism we find on the Web. Our posts regularly identify those news articles or opinions in the mainstream media that represent good faith-based writing and example them for other Christian journalists.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Heartbreaking story … literally and figuratively

These types of stories break my heart, not only because of the tale of apparent misguided justice, but because articles like “My Visit With Troy Davis, a Man Facing Death on October 27th,” which I found in on the Altnet.org website, would be an exceptional Amy Writing Award entry if it only cited identifiable scripture.

American Observer Writer Federica Valabrega’s clearly shares the faith of one Troy Davis, who recently received a stay of execution in Georgia. Valabrega writes:

I met Davis inside the walls of the prison for the first time, when, after a two-month correspondence, I decided to fly to Jackson to talk to him in person. I wanted to know for myself how someone could sleep at night, knowing that death might soon be whispering in his ears for a crime he says he did not commit.

The answer was more powerful than I had expected.

"My faith has taught me that if you give all your worries to God he will carry your burdens," Davis wrote in a letter to me sent the day after my visit. "It's God that carried me through death's valley and took my worries away."For Davis, faith is the door to freedom. Having faith makes you stronger than your family and able to support them more than they are supporting you, he said, because they are the ones who will be left behind once you are gone and you have to show them you are not afraid to die.
Read more>>

The personal nature of the piece is profound and clearly moves the reader. The rare, but real tragedies of our justice system raises my awareness of Paul’s admonitions: “that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives” (I Timothy 2:1-2) and “remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering” (Hebrews 13:3).

Sadly, I could not find where Valabrega cited identifiable scripture as she so deftly pleads Troy Davis’ case. Still, her writing had its impact, at least on me. I prayed for Davis and his case today and commit to doing so through his next scheduled date with execution, Oct. 27, 2008. It is reassuring that Davis is relying on the comfort of Christ Jesus as he faces his own death for a third time, knowing his eternal judgement is forever stayed and unconditional acceptance awaits him in the arms of his Savior.

Thank you, Federica, for reminding us to be vigilant for misguided justice and to pray for those behind prison walls, whether wrongly convicted or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home